The Post Master’s Certificate in Philosophy program is a thirty-credit course of study designed to give students, who already hold a Master of Arts degree in Philosophy, an opportunity to advance their academic standing and concentrate on an area of Philosophy.
This certificate program may be completed 100% online. There is a six-year time limit from entry into the program for completion of the requirements. This is a flexible program, designed to prepare students for subsequent licentiate or doctoral work, or for integrating a philosophical component into their lives and professions.
The candidate for the Post Master’s Certificate in Philosophy may compose his or her program from any graduate level courses he or she wishes, as long as four core courses are included (See Academic Guidelines). In the case of a student who intends to pursue licentiate or doctoral work, careful attention must be paid to compose his or her program from coursework which will fulfill admissions requirements for the intended future college or university program. In some cases, it may be advisable for a student to approve each semester’s course selection(s) with the future institution of study, to ensure a smooth transition from Holy Apostles College and Seminary Post Master’s Certificate in Philosophy program into a licentiate or doctoral program.
- The Post Master’s Certificate Program in Philosophy requirements must be completed with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better. For purposes of retaining a consistency and integrity in its Post Master’s Certificate in Philosophy program, Holy Apostles College and Seminary requires that a twelve-credit core curriculum be completed within the program by each candidate.
- All Post Master’s Certificate candidates must integrate the following core courses into their program:
- PHE 501 – Ethics
- PHS 551 – Philosophical Anthropology
- PHS 611 – Logic and Epistemology
- PHS 621 – philosophy of Nature and Metaphysics.
Course requirements for areas of concentration are identical to those of the residential M.A. in Philosophy program. In cases where a student has already taken any of these core courses, or comparable courses on the graduate level, the requirement may be waived by the Academic Dean.
A maximum of six graduate credits toward the Post Master’s Certificate in Philosophy will be accepted by Holy Apostles College and Seminary for transfer. These credits must be from accredited colleges, must not have been applied to a degree, and must be applicable to the Post Master’s Certificate Program in Philosophy.
Acceptance of transfer credits is at the discretion of the Academic Dean.
The student must write a culminating paper of 30 pages under the guidance of an academic advisor.
Areas of Study
Post-Masters Certificates in Philosophy are available in the following concentrations: Christian Wisdom, Ethics, History of Philosophy, and Systematic Philosophy