Concentration Chair: Dr. J. Marianne Siegmund
The MAPS Catechetical Ministry Concentration provides learners with the abilities and skills necessary to teach others about the Catholic Faith and to administer catechetical or religious education programs in parishes and Catholic schools. This concentration would be an excellent fit for those who wish to:
- Direct a religious education/faith formation program in a parish.
- Pursue a career in diocesan catechetical ministry.
- Pursue a career in a Catholic grade school or high school.
- Coordinate a religion program in a Catholic school.
- Be more effective as a catechist or religion teacher.
To equip students with the skills needed to:
- Understand and apply the foundational principles of catechesis and catechetical ministry. This includes knowledge of key catechetical documents that frame Church teaching on catechesis and religious education.
- Identify key stages of child, adolescent, and adult stages of cognitive, social and moral development and articulate the relationship between these stages and the timing and manner in which key faith concepts are introduced.
- Form children and adults to celebrate the sacraments, including catechesis for full and active participation in the Mass, guiding candidates and catechumens through the RCIA process, and preparing couples for the Sacrament of Matrimony and infant baptism.
- Administer a religious education/faith formation program in a parish or school, including selection of texts and resources, budgeting, recruitment, training and management of volunteer catechists, and awareness of self-care and legal issues.
- Adapt catechetical materials and programs for special populations, including persons with disabilities and persons of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
Students with a concentration in Catechetical Ministry will be able to:
- Effectively administer a program of faith formation or religious education in a parish, school, or diocesan setting.
- Foster personal growth in faith, discipleship and spirituality in one’s self and contribute to forming a community of intentional disciples.
- Craft developmentally-appropriate catechetical experiences for learners of all ages.
- Coordinate programs of sacramental preparation for children, adolescents and adults.
- Effectively meet the needs of special populations that present themselves for catechesis, including individuals with disabilities and persons from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Collaborate with other ministry and/or educational leaders in a parish or school.
- PAS 602 Fundamentals of Practical Theology
- DTH 645 Nature and Grace
- PAS 683 Pastoral Counseling 1: Spiritual Helping & Accompaniment
- PAS 511 Mission and Evangelization
- MTH/PAS/PHE 841 Catholic Social Teachings
- PAS 720 Nurturing the Domestic Church: Facilitating Authentic Marriage, Family Life and Spirituality
Catechetical Ministry Core
- PAS 651 History and Foundations of Catechesis
- PAS 652 Elements of Adult Faith Formation
- PAS 653 Child and Adolescent Catechesis
- PAS 654 Liturgical Catechesis
Catechetical Ministry Suggested Electives
- PAS 655 Administration of Catechetical Ministry
- PAS 656 Special Populations in Catechetical Ministry
- PAS 700 Christian Life Together in the Presence of Human, Physical, and Intellectual Impairments
- MTH 851 Contemporary Moral Issues