Return to Tuition & Financial Aid Information

Veterans (VA) and Military (TA) Benefits

This college has 15 programs approved by the State Approving Agency for purposes of educational assistance from the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  These include undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees and graduate certificate programs.

Effective 8/1/18, full time enrollment in a graduate program at HAC is two courses or 6 credits.  50% or half time enrollment is one course or 3 credits. 

New students need to contact VA at 1-888-422-4551 (press 1 for touchtone and then 0 to reach a benefits counselor) or at to obtain information on benefits, to submit a question, to apply initially for benefits or to file a Request for a Change of Place of Training.  

Students who are registered for courses in an approved program for an upcoming term need to contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) at 860-632-3020 to identify the part of the law under which they are claiming VA benefits, to provide their VA file number (and payee number if claiming benefits under Dependents Educational Assistance), and to request that the SCO certify their enrollment to VA for the upcoming term. 

VA Chapters that remit payment to the student must pay up front prior to the beginning of each semester.

Active military personnel should be advised that we have an up-to-date Memo of Understanding (MOU) on file with the Department of Defense and process benefits for all branches of the military.  Military TA Tuition & Refund Policy here. Contact is the SCO as noted above.

Any student receiving benefits must successfully complete all degree or certificate requirements within the allotted time span noted elsewhere in this catalog.   

To ensure that a student receiving VA/Military Benefits is making the prescribed progress, the Office of the Registrar together with the SCO shall assess such progress at least once during each semester of enrollment.  Grades, as required, will be uploaded within the required 30 day timeframe at the end of each period of enrollment. Students should speak with the SCO before withdrawing from any courses. 

Permanent link to this article: